Happy Birthday to my dear husband! Thank you for being there for me all these years; you are my best friend and the best husband in the whole world. I know this is your favourite cake, so I know you’ll enjoy it!
Here is my secret recipe so everyone can enjoy the cake and celebrate your birthday with you!
For the cake:
260g all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
295 ml vegetable oil
200 g granulated sugar
200 g light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
300 g grated peeled carrots
100 g coarsely chopped Walnuts
For the frosting:
225 g cream cheese, at room temperature
140 g icing sugar
80 ml double cream
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius
- Grease two 9-inch by 2-inch cake pans and line the bottom of both with parchment paper then also grease the top of the paper (Or, grease and flour the bottom and sides of both pans)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the oil, sugars and vanilla. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until blended.
- Switch to a large rubber spatula. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, stirring gently until they disappear and the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the carrots and walnuts
- Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans
- Bake until the tops of the cake layers are springy when touched and when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (it should take around 35 to 45 minutes)
- Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes then turn them out onto cooling racks
- Peel off parchment paper and cool completely
- To finish it off with the frosting…
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with a handheld mixer on medium speed until creamy (it should take about 1 minute)
- Beat in the icing sugar, a 1/4 cup at a time until fluffy
- Pour in cream and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Chill covered until ready to frost cake
- When the cake layers are completely cool, frost the top of one cake layer, and place the other cake layer on top
- Decorate as you would like or leave it like that!