Happy Spring everyone! Today I thought I would share my Chinese steamed buns recipe. I’ve called it my ‘Spring Clean’ Chinese buns because the filling is made from ingredients that had to be used up in my fridge! Feel free to add in or substitute any leftover vegetables into the the filling mixture to suit you best. My recipe makes 20-22 buns.
You will need a steamer for this recipe. Preferably, try to find a bamboo steamer from the Chinese supermarket. If not, set up a steam rack in a big wok or use a regular steamer.
For the dough:
450 g Wheat Flour
1 Tablespoon Quick Action Yeast
1/2 Cup Sugar
3 Tablespoons Lard or Vegetable Oil
1 Egg White
1/2 Teaspoon White Vinegar
225 ml Warm Water
For the filling:
500g Pork (minced)
1 Leek (finely chopped)
1 Chinese Leaf
20g Dried Wood Ears (available in Chinese supermarkets)
3 Carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
Handful of Coriander (finely chopped)
1 Tablespoon of sesame oil
1 Tablespoon of Corn flour
1 Tablespoon of Oyster sauce
1 Teaspoon of salt
1 Teaspoon of Grated Ginger
1 Tablespoon of Chinese Rice Wine
1 Teaspoon of Chicken Bouillon
1 Teaspoon of sugar
1/4 Teaspoon of White pepper
- First – some preparatory work:
- Cut up some grease proof paper into little squares (about 3×3″) – you will need about 22 squares!
- Finely chop the Chinese leaf and place into a big bowl with a generous amount of salt (this will extract water from the Chinese leaf) and set aside for 20 minutes
- Soak the dried wood ears (see pic below) for 20 minutes
- Whilst the two ingredients are set aside…
- Sieve the flour and yeast into a big bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour the sugar, vinegar, and egg white into the well
- Slowly add water and lard or vegetable oil
- Knead into a smooth soft dough
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover with a tea towel and place in a warm area to rise for 1 hour.
- Now to make the filling!
- Drain the lettuce using a colander
- To get rid of any more excess water, place the lettuce into a clean tea towel, roll up the towel, and squeeze out any more excess water over your sink by twisting the towel
- Finely chop the stacked dried wood ears
- Place the minced pork and all the other filling ingredients into a large bowl
- Add the seasoning listed
- Mix well
- Set aside
- Remove the dough from the bowl and cut into little pieces (40g each)
- Press each piece flat with your hand and wrap in some filling.
- Place each bun onto a grease proof paper square you cut out earlier and place into the steamer
- Steam on high heat for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!