This nut roast recipe is so rich. Such a great alternative to meat. It has a variety of textures and is full of flavour! It’s very healthy, packed full of nuts, grains and vegetables. Enjoy this as an alternative to meat in your Sunday roast!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion (finely chopped)
2 sticks celery (finely chopped)
2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
200g chestnut mushrooms (finely chopped)
1 red pepper (halved, deseeded and finely diced)
1 large carrot (finely chopped )
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
100g red lentils
2 tbsp tomato purée
300ml vegetable stock
100g homemade breadcrumbs
150g mixed nuts such as walnuts, hazelnuts and Brazil nuts (roughly chopped)
3 large eggs (lightly beaten)
100g mature cheddar, grated
Handful flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas 4. Line the base and sides of a 1.5 litre loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above in the ingredients list
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan and cook the onion and celery for about 5 mins until beginning to soften
- Stir in the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 10 mins
- Stir in the red pepper and carrot and cook for about 3 mins
- Add the oregano and paprika and cook for just a minute.
- Add the red lentils and tomato puree and cook for about 1 min, then add the vegetable stock and simmer over a very gentle heat until all the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is fairly dry
- Set aside to cool.
- Finally, stir in the breadcrumbs, nuts, eggs, cheese and parsley and a pinch of salt and some ground black pepper
- Stir to mix well then spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and press down the surface
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 mins, then remove the foil and bake for a further 10–15 mins until firm when pressed gently