This is my foolproof recipe I have used for 15 years. It has never failed me. This is so delicious you will want to make it again and again!
1 lb pork belly
1 tablespoon oil
3 stalks spring onions (cut into 3-inch lengths)
1-inch peeled ginger (cut into slices)
2-3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or 1-2 tablespoons regular soy sauce
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
3½ tablespoons Shaoxing Wine
1 cup of water or enough to cover the pork belly
40g rock sugar, lightly crushed
- Bring a pot of water to boil
- Add the pork belly and boil for 5 minutes.
- Discard water, remove pork from pot, rinse and pat dry
- Cut the meat into 2½-inch squares
- Tie the pork pieces with food safe strings as tight as possible to avoid meat from falling apart while braising
- Heat up a clay pot or stainless steel pot with oil
- Stir-fry the ginger and spring onions until aromatic
- Pour in the water and continue boiling for 10 minutes
- Add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and wine, and an adequate amount of water just to cover the pork belly and boil in high heat
- Mix in rock sugar, pork pieces, skin side down and cook for 5 minutes
- Lower the heat to medium-low, at a gentle simmering level, cover the pot and braise pork for 30 minutes
- Turn pork skin side ‘up’, and continue braising for 1½-2 hours, or until pork is tender enough to your liking
- Dish up and serve pork with rice or buns and vegetables!